Foreign Relations Expert
Terms of Reference (ToR)
|Position Title||Foreign Relations Expert (One position)|
|Organization||Supreme Audit Office (SAO) Afghanistan|
|Department||Office of the Chief of Staff|
|Duration:||12 Months, fulltime|
|Gender:||Male/Female (SAO is an equal opportunity employer)|
Supreme Audit Office (SAO), Afghanistan is the Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) in the country, which conducts audit of the accounting and financial activities of all the Government budgetary entities and State Owned Entities (SoEs) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA). The mandates, functions and authority of the SAO are enshrined in the Supreme Audit Office Law. The SAO audit also conducting audit of the Qatia Statements, which is the annual financial statements of the GoIRA, financial statements of the SoEs, development partners’ projects, compliance audit, performance audit and special audits of government entities and programmes.
The Office of the Chief of Staff, SAO deals with coordination, liaison, correspondence and external protocol and relations with all stakeholders, including other Supreme Audit Institutions, international and multilateral and regional agencies, donors and development partners, government ministries, departments, independent agencies and reports directly to the Auditor General. The Office is responsible for receiving and transmitting all correspondence to and from the SAO and coordination within the SAO with all Directorates and Departments.
Funded by the World Bank under the Fiscal Performance Improvement Plan (FPIP)- Fiscal Performance Improvement Support Project (FSP) and implemented by SAO, the objective of the assignment is to contribute to the GoIRA’s strategic vision “Realizing Self-Reliance: Commitments to Reforms and Renewed Partnership”. This vision has been translated into two key flagship reform programs. The first is the Afghanistan National Peace and Development Framework (ANPDF). The second complementary reform program – to which the FSP directly contributes through implementation support to the FPIP – is the GoIRA’s PFM Road Map.
2. Objectives of the Assignment
Under the FSP financing, the SAO intends to hire a National Expert with experience in dealing with and managing external / foreign relations, related activities of stakeholders’ communication and relations, liaison and correspondence, documentations and capacity building of the staffs. The expert will act as a counterpart to the Chief of Staff and mentor the related staffs as per the duties and responsibilities mentioned below.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide technical inputs to the Chief of Staff in work planning and its implementation, including maintaining effective liaison with Directorates/Departments of SAO for effective and smooth communication and prepare template for follow up reporting.
- To mentor the officials of the Departments of foreign relations and external communication in coordinating, liaison, corresponding and external and protocol relations with all stakeholders, including INTOSAI, ASOSAI, ECOSAI, other Supreme Audit Institutions, international and multilateral and regional bodies, donors and development partners, government ministries, departments, independent agencies.
- To develop an external relations and communication protocol framework.
- To develop a standard format / template of Memorandum of Understandings with other SAIs and development partners and programs and provide technical inputs to the Chief of Staff and mentor the related officials in formulating and preparing proposals for communication / to realise technical cooperation in knowledge sharing and capacity building and for financial assistance for ongoing and new projects of the SAO.
- To monitor the communication / letters / emails / receipts / technical papers including best practices auditing and accounting standards / proposals, etc. and mentor the related officials in analysing and responding to them. These specially includes SAO’s response and comments to other SAIs, INTOSAI, IDI, ASOSAI, ECOSAI, donors, multilateral and regional bodies and forums and ministries and departments of the GoIRA.
- To evaluate and develop issues and initiatives through the research and study of auditing and accounting policy and standards, international developments, trends and reports in related areas from the INTOSAI, ASOSAI, IDI, ECOSAI, etc., and coordinate with the Research, Development and Training Committee of the SAO.
- To deal with related documents, correspondence, communication including their interpretation and translation in English and native languages, preparation and presentation of reports, working / conceptual / analytical papers and analysis of data.
- To identify capacity building and training requirements in the related areas and assist the SAO’s Capacity Building Department for training and capacity development.
- To develop a standard filing and archiving system, including electronic and digital archiving system of all communication and related documents and mentor the related officials in maintaining the system.
- To deal with other related matters as per requirements and emerging needs.
4. Outputs and Deliverables
The Expert shall be responsible for the following outputs/deliverables.
- Inception Report and annual work plan (within 3 weeks of joining).
- Work plan / reviewed and updated work plan of the Office of the Chief of Staff (within one month of joining).
- External relations and communication protocol framework (within three months of joining).
- Report on status of implementation of MoUs signed between the SAO and other SAIs and further actions needed (within three months of joining).
- Standard format / template of Memorandum of Understandings with other SAIs and development partners and programs (within five months of joining).
- Other reports / papers as per the duties and responsibilities (as per schedules and requirements throughout the assignment).
- Report on capacity building and training requirements and inputs for same (within 4 months of joining).
- Standard filing and archiving system, including electronic and digital archiving system (within six month of joining).
- Monthly and quarterly reports as per schedules throughout the assignment.
5. Institutional Arrangement
Upon approval of this position by the Civil Service Commission in SAO Tashkeel, the position may be shifted to Grade Three in SAO Tashkeel as the Foreign Relations Expert under the Office of the Chief of Staff. For the time being, this position will be remunerated as per the National Technical Advisor (NTA) policy of the Government. The contract extension shall be subject to the performance appraisal of the Expert, the Expert is required to present monthly and quarterly progress reports to the Chief of Staff.
6. Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- At least a Bachelors’ degree in International Relations or International Business or Business Administration. Masters’ degree in the areas shall be given preference.
- At least 4 years’ of relevant experience in the related field including mass / stakeholders’ communication, external relations, liaison.
- Demonstrated team building, interpersonal and leadership skills and capacity building experience.
- Report writing and presentation skills in Dari, Pashto and English (proficiency in English Language is mandatory and preference shall be given to TOFEL / IELTS and similar certification).
- Knowledge of MS Office, internet and email management.
- Demonstrated ability to work under challenging work situations.
submission guide line:
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the position title in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration.
Submission Email: email@example.com